Wandering Kat Goes to Intramuros for Manila Biennale and Pasinaya 2018


Ugh, I’ve been dying to blog about this since last Saturday after I got home from Intramuros but well, I don’t have any laptop with me and I don’t wanna edit the photos using my phone so I gotta wait for the perfect time to actually post-process everything and write this blog.

Finally! I get to share with you about one of my most favorite place in the world. Ever heard the saying “there’s no place like home?” I guess it will always be true for me. I’ve been to U.S., Hong Kong, Singapore etc., but honestly, I still always go back to my home: Philippines. Our country is not perfect. It has so many imperfections, negativities and just too much toxicity in it. That’s the reality. Our country is imperfect. The people in it, no matter how many international people say that we are the happiest people in the world, you can’t deny that Filipinos also have their worst traits (hello crab mentality lol). But this blog is not about degrading our country. MY COUNTRY. I’m writing this blog to show everyone that despite the imperfections and negativism in the Philippines, there is always something positive and empowering that will be present in our country.

Felt nostalgic when I saw this Island Souvenirs shop. 
90s babies would know that this used to be EVERYWHERE during the 90s till early 00s.

I LOVE WALKING. I walk around Makati. I walk from Ortigas to Antipolo during Lenten Season without complaining. I walk around Baguio every time I visit the place. I walked around Singapore, Hong Kong and would love to walk anywhere in the world. But you know where I love walking the most? In MANILA. I know, I know. Manila is polluted and full of evil souls lurking around every street. There are beggars and 'hypebeasts' everywhere. There are people who are ready to snatch your phone anytime. But where exactly in the world could you go without any danger? Perhaps Japan. But even the most beautiful cities in the world got their resident pick pockets. Hello Paris, where Kim Kardashian was robbed and gagged. Anyway, you can walk around Manila freely by remembering this: WALK FROM MORNING TO EVENING (8PM) ONLY (ano ba naman kasi gagawin mo na naglalakad ka sa kalye ng 8pm onwards diba?), ALWAYS WALK WITH SOMEONE YOU TRUST AND LASTLY, DON’T DISPLAY YOUR PHONE. Always be cautious of your surroundings. Feel free to bring some pepper spray ala Betty Cooper.



I'm always fascinated with horses. Ugh! I wanna ride this calesa. But it's too pricey. As if naman I'm a tourist.

Pasinaya 2018 and Manila Biennale is the perfect excuse to get your old walking sneakers out and roam around Intramuros, Manila.  Intramuros is a charming city. I wouldn’t trade it for the streets of Spain or Europe. I know our little Intramuros is incomparable to the grandeur of European countries’ famous streets but nothing will ever beat the charm that this walled city has to offer. Intramuros is small. You can walk all around the place in one day. Or half day. Depends on your agenda. But I never get tired of seeing this beautiful place. From the walls of Muralla to the beautiful semi-secret garden of Fort Santiago to the historical house of Casa Manila and of course, my dream church wedding venue Manila Cathedral. Intramuros is a place where your heart will be captivated ONLY IF you know where to look and what to look at.



With everything said, it is no-brainer that Manila Biennale which will run from February until March was held at Intramuros. Also, along with the Manila Biennale was Pasinaya 2018. A festival full of arts and culture. I love going to these kinds of events. If I am not mistaken, London Biennale has held an exhibit at Metropolitan Theater a few years ago. Guys, I’m proud to say that I got to visit that amazing exhibit (tamad pa ko mag blog that time lol). Anyway, for the said events, Intramuros got an open house where Fort Santiago, Casa Manila, and Baluarte De San Diego are all open to the public for FREE. YES FOR FREE


Although the entrance fee for these places are not that expensive, everyone loves anything FREE right? I myself especially since I love going to museums and exhibits (pagpasensyahan ang tita niyo) loves free entrances. My ever supportive BF came with me to this year’s festivities and we spent a fun-filled Sunday walking around Intramuros. 


Well, we technically didn’t walk everywhere since I was rushing to Baluarte De San Diego (open house is till 5pm only) so we chose to ride this electric multicab that will take you from one point to any point in Intramuros for Php 25.00.


Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to go inside Baluarte De San Diego because there’s a reunion happening inside so the open hours got shorter. We skipped going to Casa Manila since we’ve visited the house turned into a museum a few months ago so we just chose to spend our remaining time in Fort Santiago which was open till 9 in the evening.



It wasn’t my first time inside Fort Santiago but it was my BF’s first time. Honestly, I take note all the first time things that we do with each other. I mean I take pride that we are with each other every time we visit a place for the first time. Anyway, I love Fort Santiago’s intimate and romantic set up for Manila Biennale and Pasinaya fest


This is me enjoying my cup of refreshing lemonade while waiting to be seated at the hybrid side car.

There are a few booths lined up inside where you can choose what to eat, what to buy as a souvenir and what you can drink as refreshment from all the walking. We just bought an ice cold lemonade which is very refreshing after all the walking we had. There are also art installations inside that you can check out until March.

This is me finally relaxed and seated at the hybrid sidecar. 

Before going out of Fort Santiago, there is this one installation just along the food stalls and shops beside the restrooms which struck me the most. The moment I stepped into the cave, I was literally #SHOOKT with what I saw. The artist’s installation was so powerful that no words are needed to explain the art. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take a photo of this part of the exhibit because: 1. I already secured my camera inside its bag. 2. Honestly speaking, I got to go to the loo ASAP (naiihi na ko that time real talk) so sorry if all I could offer is my words to describe this installation. Anyway, IT GAVE ME SERIOUS CHILLS. I don’t know why my BF didn’t feel it that time but when you have seen enough artworks in your lifetime, I’m sure you can recognize a powerful one the moment you saw it. It feels like the installation or the subjects per se are screaming “help us” to me. It conveys a powerful message that you must see LIVE. So I guess, it’s okay that I wasn’t able to capture it too. SO much better in person I swear.

The following photos are the installations inside Fort Santiago. It would be so much better if you see these art works personally.


What I love about the whole Manila Biennale exhibit is that it got a story to tell. A story that should have been told a long time ago. A story that needed telling by seeing. The Intramuros open house exhibit is like a rabbit hole that the more you go into it deeper, the more you get the story behind it. 






I guess the people who selected the featured works really did a great job in transforming Intramuros from a simply charming city to a captivatingly meaningful walled city. Kudos to the people behind this: Carlos Celdran, Ringo Bunoan, Alice Sarmiento, Con Cabrera and Cocoy Lumbao. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to see all the exhibits in Intramuros because, guys, tao din ako… I get tired lol. But only if we came early, I’m sure we can finish it for one day (at least we still got something to go back to).


I am all for restoring the glory days of Manila. I always support the restoration projects done by different non-government organizations in different historical places in the city. There’s the METamorphosis project for the MET Theater, the Escolta Block Party that happens regularly, and now, of course, the Intramuros open house. I hope that millennials, or perhaps the YOUTH today could actually see that there is more to our city than what meets the eye. 


Let us use OUR VOICE to promote the efforts being done by these organizations to promote awareness and advocates to help regain the beauty of Manila. This open house is just one of the many projects being done around Manila. We should support it as much as we can and help promote our local tourism because I can attest that there are so many things that need to be discovered in our city. I guess I will never be tired of reminding everyone that we should at least channel our energies into something positive instead of wasting our energies in spreading negative vibes to our kababayans.

I hope I could see you next time on this kind of events! Intramuros, unfortunately, doesn’t offer open houses anymore since it only ran from February 3-4 but you can still catch the Manila Biennale from February 3 to March 5. Day passes are priced at Php 880 (super worth it) and are available through opencity@manilabiennale.ph or on-site ticket booths around Intramuros. They also got a student pass for Php 350

Day pass packages for adults and students



Feel free to check out https://manilabiennale.ph/ for more details!

xoxo,
KAT ❤💋

Comments

Popular Posts