An Ode to the Real Heroes

Image source: https://bit.ly/2oaZphx

I told you, blog posts are frequently coming your way now more than ever. As I am sitting here in our dining set, doing some work-related stuff (I know, very ‘dakila’), it dawned on me that we always greet people in social media a Happy National Heroes’ Day but do we really know the depth of these words? 

History is one of my strongest points back when I was still studying. But don’t worry I won’t bore you with some history stuff here. Yes, we know that National Heroes’ Day is commemorated to celebrate and remember the heroes who served our country. They have been acknowledged through thousands of books and anecdotes about their great bravery. Films are made in honor of their stories. …. But they are dead tbh. It’s about time to give credit to the living heroes who are with us every day. 



For me, the unsung heroes of our country today are those who didn’t know that they are heroes. I stumbled upon a quote while working that goes: ‘No true hero ever believes that they are one’. True enough—our street sweepers, call center agents, linemen, teachers, doctors, janitors, OFWs won’t know that they are the real OG heroes of our generation. Without them, imagine what life would be in our country. 

I salute these people for doing their job without the hopes of being recognized. Remember, you are amazing. You don’t need a sword or gun to show your love to our country. Your service is enough to prove how worthy you are to be honored.

To my dad in heaven and to my ever supportive mom, you guys are my hero along with the ordinary people who give our lives a tad bit comfort in this place we are living in. My parents… our parents… are only recognized during their ‘days’— Mother’s Day for our moms and Father’s Day for our dads but aren’t they both supposed to be recognized during Heroes’ Day too? Because for me, they are heroes. They may not be perfect, but they are the reason why we are living. Imagine the sacrifices they made just to give us a quality education and raise us to be a responsible citizen of our country. And to our family members too that helped shape us to be who we are today. Some people grew up with their grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins… aren’t they to be recognized too? They are heroes too.

Image source: https://bit.ly/2wfCzd9

But most of all, to our OVERSEAS FILIPINO WORKERS abroad. You guys are the real OG heroes. Sacrificing your personal happiness away from your loved ones… that’s something that is not recognized every day. You guys deserve all the honor given to a true hero. 

To each and everyone reading this blog, remember to greet everyone a happy Heroes’ day. We are all heroes in our ways. Let’s spread love and positivity this holiday by giving a smile and a little greeting to remind each and everyone the hero within them. 

Enjoy the holiday!

xoxo,

KAT 💕

Comments

Popular Posts