My Secret Love Affair (WARNING: Lengthy post)



Oh, hello there.

I am currently sitting in my desk while listening at some relaxing Christmas playlist on Spotify, which is called Christmas Peaceful Piano--- just in case you are wondering.  Yesterday, the 4th Filipina Miss Universe was crowned and I’m still here eating my heart out trying to make myself believe that I deserve this some sort of ‘reward’ for the reasons that I don’t know.


Oh, and by the way, this is the first week that I deliberately had our condo’s TV Cable cut off and I have read half of my new IronMan comic book and watched 8 episodes of Friends on Netflix in just one-night hee hee. I know, what am I doing in my life? Well, in my defense, I just finished gift shopping for the important people in my life IN JUST ONE NIGHT. ALONE. OUT IN THE COLD. CARRYING AT LEAST 10 KILOGRAMS OF GIFTS LIKE I’M SANTA’S DAUGHTER. But it’s the best experience ever for me--- not for my wallet though because my oh-so-fancy wallet (which was a gift from my Tito) cried some fancy tears as I basically spent most of my money buying gifts for my loved ones. 


Well, personally, wallet situation aside, I am beyond happy that this year I actually gave quality and well-thought gifts for my family. It’s nothing extravagant like how my mom gave me a freakin’ awesome camera last year, or how my papa used to give me fancy gadgets during the Christmas that he was with us, but I must say it’s pretty decent and it’s the thought that counts right? I went a little extra this year by not thinking about what’s going to be left for me (I’m scared to think about this) but I just want to give my sincerest gratitude and love to these people through these gifts. To be honest, the gifts are nothing, they can pretty much buy this anywhere, but to all those who are gonna receive something from me, please know that I put my heart into those things hehe.

Anyway, that’s not the point of this blog because I have a confession to make. I’m having an affair. And this is not just a typical love affair. It’s an obsession that’s going out of control. Now, get some hot chocolate or hot coffee. Also, turn on a soft playing music for some drama. Don't forget the cookies though (sugarfree cookies or Mary Grace's cheese roll if you're a tita reading this)...


I’m having an affair with books. I know. WTF. Super clickbait right?! HAHA! But seriously, it’s been an obsession that I had in me since I was a kid. Let me take you back to where it started.


I was probably 7 years old at that time. I remember going to Powerbooks, Alabang (South peeps would know how old that bookstore is in ATC) with my Naynay (aunt). I love her to bits till now but I remember how much she made me happy when she first bought me a copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (my original copy is still with me even though I got a whole set). I know, it’s not the first book in the Harry Potter series but this is the first ever-legit book that I had. I was so happy reading it from cover to cover and they were happy seeing me read. After that, many years passed and my obsession with books became stronger and stronger until I had a secret love affair with them.


You see, I was bullied in school for the most part of my elementary to high school life. The only moments that I had a great time in high school was during my first time studying in Metro Manila (Makati school days). People used to see me as a nerd girl who knows her history and chemistry but doesn’t know the word ‘diet’ or 'skin care'. My classmates made fun of how I look with all my pimples, big built, and “pi-ke” walk. Oh, I haven’t even started on my weird hairstyles back then. So as much as possible, I wanted to fit in and read my books at home when no one is looking at me ready to poke fun at my hobbies.


Then I went to college and this secret affair with my hobby went on. In college, Wattpad is the cool thing. I hated it. But finally, I’m starting to be cool and all. I was starting to get “popular” for both the right and wrong reasons and I don’t want people to think of me as a nerd again so I continued reading my books in the comfort of my room. I vividly remember not sleeping at all because I was super hooked with all the Twilight novels and Harry Potter series (by this time, I finally finished all the books hee hee) and I’m starting to read more.  I WASN’T SLEEPING THE ENTIRE WEEK because I was young back then and I don’t have this tita body clock that I have now so instead of going to numerous college parties, I was either spending my afternoon and nights at my best friend’s house (eating all the street foods that I can eat because I was deprived to eat these when I was a kid) or I was at home reading. No in between. Sometimes, I won’t go out of my room the whole day just to read my books. My mom probably thought that I was going insane or I was going through some extreme phase in life where either I’m out or I’m in.  Thank goodness, I have great friends in college who also read so I don’t really have to fit in and hide my geeky-ness anymore.  My friends welcomed my bookworm side with open arms and they even joined and supported me with my book obsession.


 Now a few years later, my obsession and love have not died and won't die anytime soon. Although, to be honest, 'time' has been a huge hindrance in my affair with books, as well as money. Back then, all I have to do is save my allowance for the week and voila, I have a brand new book at hand. There are times that my pops and mom would buy me books too. But of course, I don’t want to ask my mom to buy me a book now (kasi may mga ipapabili pa kong mas mahal HAHA JOKE!) so I need to set aside a certain portion of my money to sustain my ‘luxury’. Aside from books being a luxury, time this year has not been in my favor. Though I finished two books this year, it saddens me to see all the other books that I haven’t even opened this year because I was either at this event or at this place doing this and that. You know the drill. Before 2018 ends, I want to at least be halfway through the book I’m currently reading. I have TONS of books waiting to be read at my bookshelf too and it’s growing and I’m not even bothered by it because seeing all these unread books inspire me to read more and more. It’s like the bigger my unread collection grows, the drive and determination in me burn more with passion and perseverance to read and explore what’s inside each and every book that I have.


 So, this Christmas, I bought myself a few titles (by few titles, I mean 2 books lol). These few titles came in a staggered kind of acquisition because of 1. I need to budget and 2. I prioritized the gifts I bought (so please sa mga makakatanggap ng regalo, ingatan niyo yan. Ilang libro sinakripisyo ko para mabili jan LOL). I still got A LOT of pending titles to acquire but no worries, they keep me inspired to work hard and be more financially responsible in my 2019 purchases. To be honest guys, I have more books than shoes and clothes combined because I am that kuripot when it comes to #priorities.

Last night, as I finish a few episodes of Friends (this Netflix also gives me a hard time managing my schedule TBH), I found myself dreaming wide-awake. I imagine myself inside Fullybooked (not sponsored), inhaling that freshly opened book scent while grabbing all the books that I want with their huge black trolleys. I went to the first floor to grab their fresh picks and best sellers, then went to the second floor to get those YA novels that I badly want to read (I bought more self-help books this year BTW hihi), then up to the third floor to basically get those fun self-help and intimidating coffee table books and some travel booklets, then at the top floor to get ALL THE COMIC BOOKS THAT I WANT (I started to become fascinated with comics because of this year's Comic Book Day haha) and all those pricey and fancy art books that I want to buy but my kuripot self can’t bring to actually pay for it (I know, there are internet and all for these kinds of books but I’m a slow learner when it comes to the internet okay. I easily get distracted so I want something that I can touch and focus on) oh, and have I told you that the top floor of Fullybooked is my personal heaven? Aside from all the graphic novels and art books there, the floor also houses ART MATERIALS.  From paints to sketchbooks, to canvases and Ecolines (hi to my calligraphy/lettering friends!!!)… name it and they got it (Aside from Artbar hihi).

I know, what a wonderful and oh so boring dream LOL. But yeah, I’m that kind of person who given a chance to stumble upon a Php x,xxx,xxx at a park, she spends most of her money in books and art supplies. Now that I’ve confessed this, please don’t judge me and please still look at me as the cool-dorky person that you know over the internet (as if naman I’m really cool right LOL). One day I want to have my own library and pass all my books. When my mom mocks me that she will sell my books, I always tell her that no, she can’t do that because my books are my only treasure. As a person, I am not rich. I don’t have something to be proud of like signature bags or shoes or jewelry. But I have my books and they are my treasure. I may have bought some at my favorite Booksale store (located at Alphaland Makati--- and yes, I LOVE BOOKSALE) or at Fullybooked or National Book Store or whatever shop there is, but they are all the same. They have the power to transport you from one place to another. They will open your mind to go beyond the unthinkable and make you see things beyond what the plain sight can see. They have this magic that brings the world to you.



And that my dear reader is why I love books. How about you? What hobby made you fall in love? Are you like me who has a passionate love affair with books? Or maybe you’re more into arts or technology? Whatever that is, share it with me!

If you’ve come this far, I want to thank you for giving your time in reading this new blog post. It means the world to me.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS and let’s spread some love and a little sparkle to everyone

PS: I'm planning to make a small book "club" this 2019. Wanna join? :)

xoxo,
KAT 📚

Disclaimer: Photos used in this blog is from Google because I can't do aesthetic 📷

Comments

Popular Posts