The Rise of Marvel Women and How Captain Marvel Elevated The Marvel Cinematic Universe



We have Pepper Potts, Natasha Romanoff, Jane Foster, Scarlet Witch, Okoye, Peggy Carter, and a really long list of all these strong female characters in the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now, the time has come as we welcomed the first female-driven superhero film for the studio and boy, I didn’t know that my ultimate Marvel fangirl heart is in for a treat.


The movie started with the usual Marvel Studios opening but now instead of their resident superheroes being featured, they paid tribute to the real hero of Marvel Studios. Though you know who I’m talking about, I won’t say too much about it since I don’t want to spoil the emotion you’ll feel once you’re there sitting on that comfy cinema chair realizing that the number of cameos he’ll be making in the upcoming Marvel films are now numbered. I almost felt a tear building up at the corner of my eye but thank God for the delicious meal I’m eating that I tried to stop being so emotional.


I have watched the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe in almost one sitting and to be honest, people who watched the movies with me are lucky because I can basically explain the entire MCU to them briefly if they let me talk nonstop for hours. I’m a huge MCU fan and I’ve read a few comics from the universe so imagine how hardcore I am (tho I know, there are people who’s more hardcore than me) so basically, you know how obsessed I am. If you’re paying attention really well, just by watching the whole cinematic universe, you’ll know immediately that the Kree aliens are up to no good. But I won’t elaborate more on that since I am such a blabbermouth and I don’t wanna spoil anything to you guys .

First things first (after ng lahat ng sinabi kong yon, ngayon palang pala talaga ko maguumpisa)… I LOVE CAPTAIN MARVEL. Judge me all you want about my next statement but I am not really a fan of Brie Larson before. I watched her in Kong: Skull Island and I didn’t really see her as the next Marvel Superhero that we’ll all love. But obviously, I am wrong though because she is perfect for the role. She is badass and really strong. Though, to be perfectly honest, she lacks the charm that Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman had but of course, they are both different and Captain Marvel is not supposed to be charming and cutesy. She is a total kickass with strength beyond the universe so it’s no biggie.

The storyline of Captain Marvel is pretty much basic and I’m definitely sure that you’ve seen it somewhere. I love how Agent Coulson is alive again (although he was resurrected in the series Agents of Shield-- ayan spoiler na ha) and seeing Nick Fury's two eyes. Also the Steve-Bucky like relationship between Carol and Maria is one of the highlights of this movie. Tough the intentions of the bad guys are not that deep and for me lack the drive to give a huge impact in the story, I kept in mind that this is just a backstory that will eventually lead to the damnation of 50% of the universe’s population so let’s go to Captain Marvel herself. What I loved about this movie is how they didn’t give Captain Marvel a romantic prospect. Unlike other superheroes, this is a real stand-alone film. There’s no boy-meets-girl plot line or female superhero woman saves loser guy from death. At some point during the movie, I actually thought that Captain Marvel being a bisexual or lesbian would be a really great plot twist for the Marvel Studio. I mean, if Elsa is gonna be gay on the next Frozen movie, why can’t we have an LGBT Superhero right? I am definitely up for that.

The movie focused on friendship, relationships, and self-worth. And I couldn’t think of a better theme than that for the first Marvel movie of the year. Captain Marvel definitely focused on the value of friendship and self-discovery that though we’ve seen in other superhero films, this is the only movie that I can 100% say gave the spotlight to those kinds of valuable lessons. Brie Larson embodied Captain Marvel, as she became the female superhero itself. She delivered the vulnerable and emotional yet powerful female figure. Captain Marvel definitely raised the bar for our Marvel women. She solidifies the strength and power that these females can show us on the future movies coming to us.


Also, just to add some more two cents about the movie, CAN I JUST GIVE A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR THE PRODUCTION BECAUSE THEY GAVE US SOME MAJOR 90s VIBE IN THIS MOVIE. From the feels to the soundtrack, you guys did a really really great job to make my old school loving heart happy!


People, I’m gonna shout this really loud so the people at the back can hear me: MARVEL STUDIOS IS ON FIREEEEEE! They definitely lived up and exceeded the hype in the mid-credits of their recent film, and now, THE HYPE IS WAY ABOVE THE ROOF AND ON ITS WAY TO THE GALAXY FOR THE OTHER ENTITIES TO KNOW THAT AVENGERS: ENDGAME IS COMING! I am definitely 100000000% excited for April but I am nervous for the fate of my favorite Marvel character IronMan. I mean, all these teasers and theories about what will happen to him drives me insane and thank god, Captain Marvel kinda calmed my nerves down.

Okay, I’m gonna shut up now and just wait for you guys to tell me your thoughts about the Captain Marvel movie. But if you want me to blabber more about the whole MCU, feel free to contact me. Or probably, if you’re bored with your life and got no friends to talk to, just hit me up. I’m willing to talk non-stop for more than an hour and give you a blow-by-blow not-a-summary level of storytelling about Marvel. Para sa mga taong walang internet jan or pangstream, I’m just here lol.


But to be honest, I’m TOO excited for 2019 because of the upcoming Marvel movies. Guys, if you’re still thinking if you wanna watch Captain Marvel, I’m telling you now, stop deciding. Buy that tickets! Promise, you’ll get more than what you paid for.

Okay bye na talaga. I won’t stop talking if I don’t end my blog post here.

And by the way, I love you na Brie Larson. Sorrry for judging you. You rock!

Signing Out:

Your Marvel girl, KAT 🌟

PS: Special thanks to WhenInManila.com and PMCM Events for the movie treat! You guys are the best 💙

Comments

Popular Posts