What Went Down to This Year’s Visita Iglesia (And What Made Me Love My Religion)



Heyyy guys, I know. Why am I posting a blog this Good Friday? In my defense: There’s nothing in the bible that says you cannot actually type and post in your blog account during the time when Jesus WAS dead right? And nope, I am not having a SOCIAL MEDIA DETOX or whatever people call that. I'm not a believer of this detox (As if I believe any detox, right?). You know you’ll re-install that app you deleted again and be back to your same old routine. Oh, in case you’re wondering where I got this idea, just check out this article: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/a19045499/social-media-detox/ (THANK ME LATER LOL)

Anyway, as the title says, this blog is not about why I decided not to abstain from social media. What important is, we maintain the essence of this year’s Lenten season. Honestly speaking, I LOVE LENTEN SEASON. I know, it’s a sad season. We are commemorating Jesus’ sacrifices and sufferings. But also, we are celebrating His life with the one true Father. The reason why I love this season is that I feel a complete peace and tranquility during these days that everyone is out and the city is quiet. If you haven’t noticed it yet, I don’t go out of town during the Lenten time. Except for 2016 and last year. Well, that’s an exception because it was an Alay Lakad wherein I walk with my friends to Antipolo by feet. But that is peaceful too and after going back from the walk, I spend my remaining Lenten days resting and being peaceful at home.


I love the silence of the roads. There are no shouting or murmurs around our little community. No house helpers gossiping outside the halls of our building. No cars honking from time to time. No traffic and no videoke session outside the streets. Everything is just so peaceful and quiet. It is no secret that I am a city girl by force and beach girl by choice and heart. But during these times, I know how busy our beautiful islands are. So, I am grateful to be staying here at our condo, alone with only my TV breaking the silence. I can cook whatever I want (btw, I hoarded a grocery store before the long break because I know food establishments will be closed during Good Friday and I’m afraid to go hungry hehe), I can do whatever I want (nothing wild, Sandy—my dog and I just played and I watched a bunch of Netflix) and of course, I can feel God’s presence through this tranquility I am at. That’s what I love about the Lenten season.


Oh, and by the way, I just had the best Visita Iglesia ever. For this year, my boyfriend and I went around seven churches around the metro. We visited churches around Manila (lugi ako coz my bf just lives near these churches) and it was fun. For every station of the cross that we visited, I know, somehow, I get closer and closer to Jesus.

Here’s what went down to our fun and meaningful Visita Iglesia:

Stop one was at Minor Basilica and Metropolitan Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception aka: Manila Cathedral.


Station 1:
"Sometimes I feel abandoned and afraid as well. Sometimes I too, feel like I am treated unfairly or blamed for things unfairly. I have a had time when people criticize me at home or at work."

Station 2:
"Sometimes I feel like I'm not appreciated. Sometimes I feel as if I accept more responsibility that I need to. I can feel sorry for myself, even though the crosses others carry are much larger than my own. In my self pity, I don't reach out to help."

Manila Cathedral has always been my non-negotiable dream church for my wedding. Every time I go here, I always take note of the details I see because I can't help but marvel at its beauty. I've heard a few masses here but this is my first time that I had my confession here because my boyfriend encouraged me to receive the sacrament. At first I was HESITANT. People took quite a while inside the box and I'm afraid that the priest was mad at them or something. 


I must say, that was THE BEST CONFESSION I'VE EVER HAD and it definitely shookt me to the core that I need to be better and be more faithful to God. This confession reminded me of God's love for me and that I should just trust him. It's like a spiritual renewal. All the words that I NEEDED to hear was told to me by the priest and I know it was God my Father who spoke to me at that confession box. It was a very rejuvenating and refreshing experience that I will always remember so thank you to that priest whom I had confession with.

Second stop was at... yeah, you guessed it right: SAN AGUSTIN CHURCH.


Station 3:
"The heavy burden of my sins is on Thee, and bears Thee down beneath the cross. I loathe them, I detest them; I call on Thee to pardon them; may Thy grace aid me never more to commit them."

Station 4:
"Life is so competitive, and I worry so much about my future and those who have some control over it. I need to remember that being an adult does not mean having to solve every problem all by myself. I need to look around me for a friendly face, for the help I need."


For this church, I lighted a candle for my angel. I know, a few people believe in angels nowadays but not me. I know he is in heaven watching me. Fighting for me. Wanting me to live my best life. I lighted one for him because I want him to know that I am aware that he is there. This is my first time doing this and it made me feel so happy and connected to him. 

For our third stop, we went to Nuestra Senora de Guia which is popularly known as Ermita Church.


Station 5: 
"Sometimes I try to do as little as I can and still get by. Others might need my help, but I ignore their needs. Even when I'm asked to help, I sometimes claim to be too busy."

Station 6:
"She can't do much, but she offers what little help she can."

Our fourth stop was in Malate Church. It was quite near the Ermita Church but we still rode a jeep going here. Oh, by the way Malate Church is also known as Our Lady of Remedies Parish


Station 7:
"I become impatient with myself and find it hard to believe in myself when I fail. It is easy to despair over small things, and sometimes I do."

Station 8:
"Help me think more about others. Help me remember that others have problems too. Help me respond to them even when I'm busy or preoccupied with my own problems."

Fifth stop was in Paco Church. There are two Paco Churches but this one is the San Fernando de Dilao Parish. Beside this church is my boyfriend's high school alma mater. Actually, I thought that we were going to the other Paco Church so I got excited and all. But hahaha, I was quite disappointed when I finally realized that it was not that church. But nevertheless, a church is still a church so I accepted that we can't go to the other church anymore. 


Station 9:
"Help me think of the cross you carried. Help me continue to hope that I can make the changes in my life I need to. You didn't give up. I can have the strength to get up again as well."

Station 10:
"Help me to keep myself pure and clean. Help me say things that build up the people around me. Help me overcome worldly desires that I may become more like Jesus. Help me set a good example for others to follow."

The second to the last church we visited was Sta. Ana Church. It's formal name is "Our Lady of the Abandoned Parish". This is the second time that I've been to this church. The first one was last year. This is the church nearest to my boyfriend's house and I just love the atmosphere in this church because it is near food stalls lol. We also had dinner at a small Japanese food hub near this church. It was my favorite so I very much looked forward in going to this place (Don't tell my habibi that I really wanted to eat by the time we got here hehe).


Station 11:
"Help me look again at the people around me. Help me see the hurt and pain I have caused in others. Be with me to help me make amends for the harm I have done."

Station 12:
"Jesus, let me take a few moments now to consider your love for me. Help me thank you for you willingness to go to your death for me. HELP ME EXPRESS MY LOVE FOR YOU!"

Last and definitely not the least, the last church we visited was Holy Cross Parish. It is a simple and humble church yet the ambiance was definitely solemn. I always pass by this church but it was my first time to actually go inside. 


Station 13:
"Help me look for the good in those around me, especially those I love the most. Help me live this day as if it were the last. Help me become a more gentle and loving person through my greater appreciation for those around me."

Station 14:
"I can be selfish too. I can accumulate things and keep them for myself. I try to make sure I have what I want before I share what I have with anybody else."

So that concludes our Visita Iglesia for this year. 


This activity is really special for me this year compared to last year. I haven't really reflected that much on these kind of activities. It's weird how your realize things when you got lesser company and you are setting your own pace. No need to hurry or worry. 

What I love the most in this year's Lenten season is I got to receive the sacrament of confession. I used to take being a Roman Catholic for granted. I took my religion for granted for quite a long time. Until now. I now perfectly get why we need to confess to a priest and I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world. Saying my sins out loud is like leaving the heavy cross that I carried for a very long time behind. Hearing the priest's words of forgiveness is something so special that in that moment, I am sure that it was God who is talking to me. It was Him telling me that He loves me and He cares for me and He won't leave me alone. It was His way of hugging me while I was at that confession box. I felt it even though I cannot see Him. His presence was felt in every way that He wanted. It also helped that the priest who talked to me was so fatherly. It was like I am talking to my own father. I was also happy that he knows the community that I am which is The Feast. Every thing is so refreshing and light after that moment. 


Going through all of this, I realized that being part of the Catholic church is the happiest decision I had. I've been to a lot of church and I never felt this magic in me. I know, there are some views that they make us want to suck up. There are principles that cannot make us unite. But seeing past through all of these, and actually experiencing the magic of sacraments that we have, it is special that no other religion can ever fully satisfy. I thank God for this opportunity. I couldn't believe that this is the encounter that will bring back my faith and trust in Him.

I am happy to be part of this church no matter how dirty it is. Everyone and everything has dirt. It is how we clean and remain clean amidst it all. And, let me say this out of nowhere hehe: OUR CHURCHES ARE SO BEAUTIFUL AND MAJESTIC. 

Overall, as I conclude this blog post, I am nothing but thankful to experience this journey. And I just simply want to thank my boyfriend for being with me through the entire ride. Of course, most especially for making me take the sacrament of confession. Cheers to more activities that will bring us closer to God! ๐Ÿป


So that's it! Hope you enjoyed reading my Lenten blog post. And by the way, the quotes in every station we went through is from the app "Way of the Cross". I accidentally downloaded the OLD Way of the Cross (yeah, stupid me) because I was desperate to have the copy of the prayers and I don't have the coins to buy the booklets being sold at the churches, so we decided to just follow the old prayer and all since the reflections inside were really good hehe. Well, it's the heart that counts so no regrets. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Hope you had a meaningful and special Lenten celebration too. 

xoxo,
KAT ๐Ÿ’‹๐Ÿ’“✝

Comments

Popular Posts